Web Systems Engineer
The Kansas State University Office of Mediated Education (OME) in Manhattan, KS, is seeking applications for a Web Systems Engineer. This position provides services for the application and web development teams, including capacity planning, infrastructure design, and systems/software installation and maintenance. The Web Systems Engineering team produces infrastructure to provide a reliable and stable environment for application development and deployment.
This position is eligible to promote to a Senior Web Systems Engineer.
- Administer servers including: Apache, JBoss/Tomcat, and others as needed
- Maintain identical environments on development, alpha, beta, and production servers and ensure proper operation of these systems
- Develop and maintain configuration management for infrastructure applications and configurations
- Work with developers to troubleshoot problems on servers in all environments and assist with integration of new code into production systems
- Develop and maintain tools for automation, monitoring, and capacity planning
- Manage and maintain secure infrastructure
- Research new products and technologies and recommend purchases
- Manage server logs and produce reports for application development staff or clients as appropriate
- Associate degree in computer science or closely related field. Two years’ relevant experience may be substituted for a degree. (Does not replace additional experience required.)
- 2+ years’ experience in systems engineering and/or administration
- Experience with dynamic/interpreted programming languages, such as Perl, Python, Ruby, or shell scripting
- Experience with automated monitoring and management of complex systems
- Familiarity with Linux/UNIX/POSIX systems tooling
- Strong programming skills with emphasis on systems and automation programming
- Strong troubleshooting/debugging skills in systems and programming environments
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, computer engineering, or related field
- Experience maintaining enterprise level Java web application server
- Experience with RDBMS, JBoss, Tomcat, Samba, Apache, LDAP
- Understanding of network protocols with emphasis on those relating to web and application servers
- Familiarity with common open source web service infrastructure
- Experience with Kerberos, Active Directory, Shibboleth
- Experience using Chef, or similar configuration management tools
- Familiarity with principles of web systems capacity planning
- Experience with virtual machine technology such as VMware, Amazon EC2, Virtualbox, Xen, or similar
Commensurate with skills and experience.
Applicants must submit
- Cover letter reflecting how skills meet the requirements of the position
- Names, phone numbers, and email addresses of at least three professional references
Submit application materials electronically to email@example.com.
Screening of applications begins Oct. 27, 2014, and will continue until position is filled.
Questions may be directed to Viki Horan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For a full listing of benefits please visit http://www.k-state.edu/hr/current-employees/benefits/summary.html.
Kansas State University is an equal opportunity employer and actively seeks diversity among its employees.
Background check required of successful applicant.